fonts

MS....REALLY??????? WTF

funny articles and ms updates

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

You know, this disease you have is really serious...

It's funny when I hear people in my life talk about my disease. Tonight I heard my ex husband say that it was inevitable that I will be in a wheelchair....he works at the Scooter Store. He was quick to point out that most of his clients were MS patients.
I laughed out loud, thinking that this disease will not put me in a wheelchair, much less a scooter.....Although, many of the patients I get my infusions with do come in on scooters or walkers.
Why do I find this funny? Because obviously this man does not know me or my strength.
My future may hold many things, and this disease may take it's course, but there is absolutely nothing that this disease can do to me that will take away who I am or what I am capable of!
I am strong, I am able to walk, I am still a whole person, and when I encounter people that automatically put me in a wheelchair, I laugh!
I laugh, because I am stronger than this disease, I am stronger than what people think is my future.....I am Jamie.....and those who know me well, know that I will never lie down and accept that MS is my downfall.
MS has given me gifts.....gifts of time with my children,  gifts of time to discover who I am, gifts of not having the world on my shoulders, and the gift of time alone.
This time alone has opened many doors, some great, and some completely terrifying! But time to look at me.
Who am i? Why do I feel the way I do? Why do I suffer from the past:? How can I accept my past injuries and move on?
But most importantly, what am I supposed to get from this disease?
I know this......I am not destined for a wheelchair, I am not destined to be dependant, and I have not lost the fire that lives within me!
We are defined, not by our health, but what we do with our life!
I choose to be defined by my accomplishments, as a mother, as a friend, as a person! And I embrace who I am, why I am who I am, and who I want to be from this day forward.
If, for some terrible reason, I am stuck in a wheelchair, I can promise this......I will be the most fabulous wheelchair bound person anyone has ever known!

We are not defined by our past, we are not defined by our future....we are defined by what and who we are today!
Today, I choose life, strength, faith, and happiness! Thank you God for the gift of choice!

Cut to Me:  This rollercoaster I am on will eventually slow down......please God, let this rollercoaster slow down!

No comments:

Post a Comment